My nasty disconnecting problems of late came to an ugly head last Saturday in the ICC-25 pug I’ve been attending (due to conflicting schedules with guild ICC runs). I probably DC’d about 20 times over the course of the 3 hour raid and probably more, often at inconvenient times – Avvy has a slime on Rotface! DC! Avvy is disarming a trap! DC! The boss is at 5% and I’m one of the last DPS alive! DC! At one point the raid leader asked me why I was always saying “no” when he did a ready check and I had to tell him it was because I was usually going offline right as he did so.
So as you can guess, I’m pretty freakin’ fed up with it. To review, I’ve tried suggested fixes ranging from completely deleting my addon folder and re-downloading everything, deleting the patch.MPQ files and letting the repair tool re-download them, disabling certain bandwidth-hogging addons, and even put on my tinfoil hat and changed my password. (I have an authenticator [and you should too!] but figured I might as well anyway).
So last night I renamed my addons folder to keep the game from using it and booted up wow, forcing the game to create a brand new one. I shut it down again and copied over my “bare minimum” addons from the original folder – dominos, need to know, omen, DBM, decursive – and started up the game.
OMG my unitframes
Can I just say I loathe the default Blizz frames… sooo uglyyyyy
Anyway, I took Oyasumi on a trip to Scarlet Monastary to test the mettle of the DC gremlins. Aside from battling with my crippled UI it went fairly well, and I even got to witness a rogue in a dress (/facepalm) who rolled Need on mail items (to the delight of the hunter in the group) and then complained when he couldn’t equip them.
Afterward I took my level 80 toons on their daily random heroic adventures and experienced nary a DC. As this has happened before – the game acting sweet and innocent during menial tasks and going all Jekyll and Hyde on me once in a raid group – I joined a group of guildies heading to Malygos to go after the speed kill achievement to further test my setup.
Fifteen minutes and one achievement later I was still DC free! \o/
I’m too jaded to assume I’ve definitey found the problem at this point, but if it IS fixed, that points to Xperl as the likely culprit (and it seems other people have had this issue too, I just discovered!)… which means UGH, I have to find and configure a new unitframes addon. I tried Pitbull once and lasted about fifteen minutes before my eyes glazed over at the sheer massiveness of the config panel, but I hear a new version is coming out that’s attempting to simplify the process… so maybe I will give that a go. A few guildies suggested one called Stuf as well so I might check that out…
Assuming I don’t DC ten times in tonight’s raid, that is x_x
Arright, back to work!